Sts. Joachim and Anne Armenian Church
Pastor: Rev. Fr. Tavit Boyajian
Establishment: The Armenian Church in Palos Heights is likely the only Armenian Church in the world with the ecclesiastical name of Sts. Joachim & Anne. Godfather of the church, Mourod Fundukian, wished that the church be named after his parents, Hovagim and Armav Fundukian. The Primate of the Diocese consecrated the parish as Soorp Joachim (Hovagim) & Anna after the Virgin Mary's parents.
Sts. Joachim & Anne parish did not begin in Palos Heights forty years ago. The church was first consecrated on November 30, 1958, in West Pullman. The church has gone through four phases of spiritual and physical transformation. Presently, the church serves the spiritual needs of a community that extends from Chicago's Southwest suburbs to all of Northern Indiana.
The second location of Sts. Joachim & Anne Church was just next door to the first and had its groundbreaking on May 30, 1965. On April 17, 1966, Primate Archbishop Sion Manoogian consecrated the church and the hall. The new hall was named after its benefactor George Garabedian.
During the third phase, the community built the Hovanessian Cultural Hall–named aptly after generous benefactors, Dr. & Mrs. Raffy and Vicky Hovanessian.
Consecrated: November 27, 1983
Sanctuary: The parish owns its permanent sanctuary, which is not the original one. The previous site was in West Pullman, IL.